Elaborating a set of medical indications concerning massage, osteo-articular manipulations, point therapy, gymnastics and, respectively, all the techniques and procedures include in the Yumeiho therapy (and of similar therapeutic methods) – as it is customary in other fields of physiotherapy – is an apparently uncomplicated attempt and mission, yet, at the same time, difficult and, paradoxically, useless and absurd. Why? Because the indications of such therapeutic applications are countless. Even if we wanted to try to classify them, we risk exposure to criticism, due to hazard and omissions.
Below there is an approximate presentation of such indications, in order to reduce the unfamiliarity to such indications to a minimum.
- Disorders of statics and dynamic of the locomotive system, such as: hip asymmetries, kyphosis, scoliosis, hyperlordosis, and their combinations and complications (kyphoscoliosis, etc.); inadequate distribution of the body weight at the pelvic level and, respectively, at the level of lower limbs (prevention of pathologies induced by such disorders or alleviation of the onset pathology); muscular-articular rigidity, ligamental laxity; walk, balance, statics disorders generated by the abovementioned causes and by the induced complications, etc.;
- Neuralgia and neuromyalgia, regardless of their location, anatomical-functional substratum and cause (except for those causes which constitute contraindications, such as the lumbar disk herniation with sciatic): rheumatism-related, neurological, posttraumatic, psychogenic, articular conditions, myositis, myofasciitis, myogelosis, cellulitis, neuritis and polyneuritis, muscular-tendinous retractions, muscular contractions, muscular hypotrophies and atrophies generated by sundry causes (both central and peripheral, neurological and posttraumatic, post-inflammatory and post-infectious, etc.);
- Disorders and sufferings of the cardiovascular system, both peripheral and central: venous and lymphatic stasis, accompanied by peripheral circulatory edema, peripheral vascular ischemia in incipient functional stage, arterial hypertension in functional state;
- Gastro-intestinal disorders, like: functional disorders of the intestinal transit of vegetative or constitutional origin or generated by improper diet (diminished intestinal transit, constipation, non-infectious diarrhea); bile dyskinesia, pyloric stasis (caused by stress), etc.;
- Psychogenic conditions of sundry etiologies: multiple forms of asthenic neurosis, spasmophilia, chronic tetany, neuro-vegetative dystonia;
- Dysmetabolic conditions: obesity, diabetes, gout;
- Gynecological conditions: uterus hypotrophies and displacements, ptosis, adherences, chronic inflammations, etc.;
- Preparing pregnant women for labor;
- Pediatrics: various forms of anemia, ricketiness, hypoanabolic syndromes of various causes
- Geriatrics: care and stimulation treatment of skeletal musculature, joints and diminished metabolism, et.; following permissive preclinical explorations (biological, laboratory, etc.); stress; disorders induced by stress, such as: insomnia, anxiety, agitation, painful muscular tensions, chronic psychical and physical tiredness, sundry neuro-vegetative disorders, etc.; preventing the onset of stress or the onset of stress-induced disorders; patients’ inability to relax;
- Diminishing or even eliminating the detrimental effects of sedentariness;
- Preparing athletes for performance; recovering athletes’ capacity to move and make effort;
- Recovery of patients having undergone prolonged immobilizations;
- Improving, correcting and increasing pulmonary ventilation, in cases in which the ventilatory capacity is decreased due to the rigidification of the thoracic cavity (muscle contractures, thoracic vertebral arthrosis, etc.) or to incorrect (insufficient) respiration.
Of course, on top of the abovementioned indications, which are more or less precise, there are plenty other cases in which applying the Yumeiho therapy can prove to be beneficial.
As far as each indication is concerned, peculiarities specific to each single case can occur and render the application of the therapy or of certain procedures included in it contraindicated. For instance, sciatic neuralgia is one of the indications of applying the Yumeiho therapy, provided that it is not generated by disk herniation (in which case vertebral manipulations are not allowed). But even in this case different, personalized situations can occur. As a result, selecting, evaluating and monitoring patients represent specialist physicians’ task.
In case of people confirmed by their physician as clinically healthy, the application of the therapy can be carried out integrally, safely. The approach will be prominently prophylactically. That is, the aim is to correct the functional diseases (anomalies) which generate discomfort or which can induce pathologic states on long term.
Vastly experienced and adequately medically trained therapists will be able to approach even the most difficult cases, getting at least satisfactory results.
President of the Romanian Yumeiho Society,
6th degree instructor – therapist
international representative of the International Institute of Practical Preventive Medicine of Tokyo – Japan