About Kinesio Taping
Kinesio Taping is a revolutionary method of enhancing lymphatic drainage and the peripheral circulatory system by employing kinesio tapes. Additionally, this adhesive taping technique enables the natural healing process of the organism by supporting and stabilizing muscles and joints without conditioning the range of movement of the body and by generating drainage (mild stimulation of the soft peripheral tissue) in view of extending the effects of previously applied manual therapies: most types of massage, stretching, manual therapies focusing on actions on anatomically narrow areas (pressopuncture, point therapy) and/or entailing osteoarticular mobilization (osteopathy, chiropractic, the yumeiho therapy, etc.).
The use of kinesio tapes is compatible with a large range of orthopedic disorders (contortion, luxation, muscle sprains and tears, etc.) or disorders of neuromuscular or neurologic nature, being recommended in cases of sports accidents and of consequences detrimental to posture following certain deficient stances associated to professional activities.
Elastic tapes with special features are used in the therapeutic practice, tapes which are applied differently according to the existing disorder.
The standard features of the kinesio tape are:
- Used adhesive: cyanoacrylate – thermosensitive medical glue
- 100% cotton textile material with no latex/ polyurethane 70D content
- Water resistant material
- Available in 4 sizes: 2.5cm x 5m; 3.75cm x 5m; 5cm x 5m; 7.5cm x 5m
- Maximum elasticity of 150 – 160%
- Enables a reasonable respiration of the tegument it is applied on
- Weight and width similar to the epidermis’s weight and width
- It can be worn between 3 to 5 days until the following application
- Decreases pain down to complete elimination (depending on pathology and its level of intensity)
- Adjusts joint position anomalies
- Stimulates muscles in view of correcting their position while recovering (in cases of contraction or hypotonia)
- Enables the healing of hematomas and, generally, of muscle traumas
- Eliminates congestions occurred within the lymphatic circulatory system
Kinesio tapes are to be applied within a global therapeutic strategy conceived for the patient following minute physical exams: range of movement tests (ROM), as well as other specific orthopedic tests the specialist considers necessary. The conclusions drawn from the evaluation will determine the characteristics of applying kinesio tapes (size, shape, position, tension). Generally, kinesio tapes are applied in I, X, Y, but also in special patterns, e.g. “the octopus”.
Being worldwide employed, in particular in environments where sport recovery is practiced as a method of support, acceleration and enablement of other physical rehabilitation therapies, Kinesio Taping proved its efficiency, as well as its ease of application.